So, I am back from this great trip to ” Banff National Park” got plenty of the sunshine and fresh mountain air; but now I am craving for some healthy food. Trust me! I really missed home cooked goodness. I made this layered strawberry quinoa healthy parfait for breakfast ; it’s light, healthy, fruity, colorful and creamy. Perfect for summertime, you can have it as a breakfast or dessert.
The first layer is simply cooked quinoa, for the second layer I have used greek yogurt stirred with honey and the third layer is of homemade strawberry compote. I have also added few cherries and chia seeds to my strawberry compote. I love strawberry or other fruit compote and try to make them on the weekend so that I can use them anytime for fruity breakfast topping.
- 1 cup strawberries (fresh/frozen).
- ¼ cup cherries (fresh/frozen).
- 2 tsp brown sugar.
- 2 tablespoon water.
- 1 tsp chia seeds.
- ½ cup quinoa.
- 1 cup yogurt.
- 3 tsp honey(or more according to taste).
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract.
- fresh strawberries for garnish.
- Rinse and cook quinoa as per package directions. Keep aside covered and let it cool.
- For compote: Take a small saucepan and add sugar, chopped strawberries, cherries and water to it, place on medium heat once it starts to bubble reduce heat and gently mash fruit with a wooden spoon. Continue cooking on low heat for 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally; remove from heat add honey and chia seeds.
- In a small bowl combine yogurt, honey and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.
- Layer in glasses and serve immediately.
- You can save time by cooking a batch of quinoa ahead. Keep it in the refrigerator; it can be used for quick breakfast or salads.
Did you like this Strawberry Quinoa Healthy Parfait recipe?
Please leave a comment below or share your picture on Instagram, twitter, google plus and Facebook with the hashtag #nfdrecipes.