I love pancakes and these are my favorite weekend breakfast option. So as it’s Friday today and I have been looking for pancake topping; which I can use for my weekend breakfast, something that is not too sweet. It’s just not me in my family; who love sweet and sour together. My little one is also a big fan of sweet and sour taste at the moment. No doubt he likes fresh berries, oranges, grapes and mango more than other fruits.
As some of you are aware that I am almost crazy for strawberries; so I thought I should give a try to homemade strawberry compote. The best part about compote is that it’s fruity but is not as sweet as jam or marmalade. I made this compote with frozen strawberries; but you can use fresh strawberries as well.
My strawberries were very sweet so I have added a little honey at the end but you can add your choice of sweetener if you want. I like a hint of spice so I have added fresh grated ginger. This strawberry compote gets ready to eat in 15-20 minutes and you can use it as a topping for:
- 2 cups strawberries ( fresh/ frozen).
- ½ tsp fresh ginger root ( grated).
- 2 tablespoon filtered water.
- 2 tsp honey.
- 1 tsp chia seeds.
- Take a small saucepan and add strawberries and water to it.
- Place on medium heat.
- Once it starts to bubble reduce heat and gently mash strawberries with potato masher or use a wooden spoon.
- Continue cooking on low heat for 8-10 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat add honey and chia seeds.
- Let it cool for few minutes and then transfer to clean airtight container.
- Serve warm; or store in refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
I have also added chia seeds to it so this compote is packed with vitamins and other nutrients too. So enjoy your weekend breakfast with this lovely strawberry compote topping.
Did you like this Strawberry Compote with ginger and chia seeds recipe?
Please leave a comment below or share your picture on Instagram,twitter and Facebook with the hashtag #nfdrecipes.