Cheesy bread rolls may be your favorite bread rolls but once you taste these veggie bread rolls you will definitely crave for them. These are stuffed with healthy veggies and cheese and you can have them at any time of the day from breakfast to dinner. These may become your favorite companion for soups or tea/coffee.
Making these veggie bread rolls is not as complicated as it looks. You just need your favorite veggies and cheese for stuffing and you can make it following these simple steps: roll out your whole wheat dough ,spread stuffing, roll it up, cut and bake.
I have used broccoli, corn, caramelized onions and Tex-Mex cheese; but you can use any combinations. I will definitely make them again with other veggie and cheese combinations. Here is the recipe, bake and enjoy your freshly home made veggie bread rolls.
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour.
- ½ cup all purpose flour.
- 200 ml milk (warm).
- 1 tsp sugar.
- ½ tsp salt.
- ½ cup warm water.
- 3 tsp olive oil.
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast.
- 1½ cup broccoli ( grated/ finely chopped).
- ½ cup corn kernels ( fresh/frozen).
- ½ small onion (finely chopped).
- 2 tsp Italian herbs (dry).
- ⅓ cup Tex Mex cheese.
- Take a small bowl and add active dry yeast, sugar and warm water to it, let it stand for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl add wheat flour, all purpose flour and ¼ tsp salt mix them.
- Now add 1 tsp olive oil, milk and yeast mixture to it, mix them and knead to form a dough. Knead till dough is not sticky anymore. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for about 50-60 mins.
- In the mean time prepare the filling, take a pan and add 2 tsp olive oil to it.Add onions and let them caramelized, now add corns and season with salt ,cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add herbs and broccoli, cover the pan and turn off the heat. Keep the mixture aside to cool. Finally add cheese and mix well.
- When your dough is almost doubled them remove it from the bowl and place on a floured surface, deflate it by pressing all air out.
- Roll out your dough to form a rectangular shape of about (12 inches x 17 inches) and about ⅓ inches thick.
- Spread your filling all over the dough, and roll up into a log.
- Cut into 10 pieces. Pinch the bottom side of each piece gently and place pieces on baking pan covered with parchment paper.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F, reduce to temperate to 350°F and bake the rolls for 18-20 minutes or till golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Did you like this veggie bread rolls recipe?
Please leave a comment below or share your picture on social networks with the hashtag #nfdrecipes.