Cinnamon is one of the most delicious and healthiest spices on the planet. It can be used in the preparation of a variety of food ranging from hot curries to sumptuous desserts. Most of us are not aware of the fact that cinnamon not just enhances the flavor of food, but it is also very beneficial from the health perspective. Many scientific pieces of research have confirmed the health benefits of cinnamon.
Cinnamon is made from the inner bark of the tree called Cinnamomum. The soft bark of cinnamon is ground to form the cinnamon powder; which is widely used as a spice.
Here are some of the proven health benefits of cinnamon:
- Antioxidant: Cinnamon is loaded with powerful antioxidants so it can protect the body from oxidation damage caused by free radicals.
- Anti-inflammatory: It can reduce body/ muscle inflammation, ache linked to arthritis or minor injuries.
- Heart-disease: Cinnamon can reduce LDL Cholesterol level i.e. bad cholesterol level in the body that means it is good for the healthy heart and reduces various cardiovascular diseases. Also, it can increase HDL level in the body so that is why it is good for overall cardiovascular health.
- Can improve sensitivity to hormone insulin: Cinnamon can regulate blood sugar level so very good for those who are suffering from Type-2 diabetes.
- Nutrient Dense: Ground cinnamon provides an appropriate dose of nutrients like fiber, iron, calcium and magnesium.
- Balances hormonal level : It can balance hormone levels especially in females and good in dealing with menstrual pain and female infertility.
- Fights Bacterial and fungal infections: It has anti-bacterial properties and helps in reducing chances of bacterial infections ( Listeria & Salmonella). Also, cinnamon oil has shown positive effects on respiratory infections caused by fungi.
So use cinnamon in your regular diet and reap the health benefits of this wonderful spice; good for overall well-being. But make sure to always take it in moderation, a dash of cinnamon is enough.