Sunday afternoon is perfect time for baking and I love freshly baked goods. So I decided to make a savory galette with mushroom and spring onion filling. I like galettes fresh from the oven because they have scrumptious filling and crispy crust all together in a one dish. Traditionally galette dough or crust is made with butter but I am not a big fan of butter; so I have used oilve oil in this particular recipe. Olive oil gives perfection to this savory galette; and you won’t even miss butter.
I suggest using best quality extra virgin olive oil which is good in every perspective. I generally use either oilve oil or coconut oil for cooking and baking as well.
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour.
- 1 tsp salt.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour.
- ⅓ cup extra virgin oil.
- ½ cup cold water.
- 1 egg.
- 2 cups spring onions chopped ( white and greens).
- 3 cups mushrooms (sliced).
- 2 tsps fresh herbs ( thyme, oregano, basil ) chopped.
- 1 cup baby spinach.
- 2 tbsp sour cream.
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper.
- 1 small red onion.
- For Crust: Combine flour,1/2 tsp salt, ¼ cup olive oil add cold water gradually and knead it together until a ball is formed. wrap in a plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hr.
- For Filling: Heat olive oil in a pan and add spring onions, cook stirring occasionally until onions are tender and become a bit translucent.
- Add mushrooms, salt , pepper and herbs, cook until the mushrooms begins to release water and also become soft.
- Add baby spinach and cook till all liquid gets evaporated. Add red onion and sour cream; mix well. Transfer the filling to the plate to let it cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400º F; line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Remove your dough from refrigerator and roll out on the lightly floured surface into a 10 inch circle. Roll it back over the rolling pin and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon in the filling and spread it in the center of the dough, leaving 1½-inch border all around.
- Gently fold the border up and over the filling to form a rim, pleating as necessary by pressing the folds together.
- Brush beaten egg over the rim.
- Bake the galette until the crust is golden brown for approximately 30-35 minutes.
- Let it cool for about 5 minutes on the wire rack.
- Slide into serving platter, cut into wedges and serve warm.
So try this mushroom spring onion galette and let me know how it was !