I love flavorful Mexican food and this kidney bean fried rice is delicious rice dish full of flavors, beans and veggie goodness.
If you are regular visitor of my blog then you might have noticed that I prefer to use simple, flavorful ingredients from the scratch to create simple tasteful recipes. Kidney beans is one of the most abundantly used bean in Mexican cuisine. This is one of my favorite bean which is also used in Indian recipes. I prefer to use home cooked kidney beans over canned ones; off course home cooked are healthier and free from any additives or extra sodium. But if you want to save time then you can go for canned kidney beans; just rinse them well before using in any recipe.
I like this particular kidney bean fried rice recipe because of many reasons, first of all it has kidney beans which are great source of protein, fiber and minerals. Secondly it is packed with nutritious vegetables like bell pepper, carrots, edamame, corn, tomatoes etc. These veggies not only give taste, color to this fried rice recipe but also add a special crunch. You can also add your favorite vegetables and customize it according to your choice.
This is a complete meal full of nutrients, I have used basmati rice for this kidney bean fried rice recipe but you can also use brown rice or any other long grain rice. Also adjust spices according to your taste.
- 1 tbsp pure olive oil.
- ½ red onion (finely chopped).
- 1 cup yellow/red bell pepper (diced).
- ⅓ cup corn kernels (frozen/ canned).
- ¼ cup edamame (frozen).
- ¼ cup carrots (diced).
- 1 medium tomato (chopped).
- ¾ cup tomato paste/ puree.
- 1½ cup kidney beans ( cooked/ canned).
- 1 cup basmati rice.
- 2 tsp jalapeno( seeded and chopped)
- 2 tsp mixed herbs ( basil, thyme, oregano)
- 1 tsp cumin powder.
- 1 tsp paprika.
- Salt, to taste.
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves.
- Cook basmati rice in a sauce pan with ¼ tsp of salt according to package directions. Keep aside for 5 -10 minutes and then fluff with fork.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan or skillet over medium- high heat. Once it's hot then add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add corn kernels, edamame and carrots to the pan and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes,bell peppers and tomato paste to the pan , cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Now add kidney beans, cumin powder, jalapeno, herbs mix, paprika and ½ tsp salt to the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low; mix well and cook for 7-10 minutes until veggies are tender. Add few tbsp of warm water if required, beans and veggie mixture should not be too dry.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add cooked rice; keep stirring until rice gets mixed for about 4-5 minutes.
- Taste and check salt ; add more salt if required.
- Remove from heat, garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve hot.
Please leave a comment below or share your picture on Instagram,twitter and Facebook with the hashtag #nfdrecipes.