I am a big fan of hot breakfast cereal since my childhood, but oats porridge was not so popular back home as wheat and rice are staple grains of India. I discovered this healthy cereal when I was in college; certainly quick oats or wheat porridge became my favorite breakfast option. Now, I love oats porridge and I prefer steel cut oats over rolled oats because steel cut oats have better texture and it’s more filling. This mango coconut steel cut oats porridge is very creamy, fruity and healthy breakfast option. I made this mango coconut steel cut oats porridge for Sunday breakfast but if you want to have oats porridge for weekday breakfast then simply make a big batch of it and add mango topping and honey just before serving.
You can add any seasonal fruit, milk, yogurt and nuts of your choice to make it more appealing and yummy. This time I have used tropical ingredients for my porridge as summer is the season of “mangoes”; one of my favorite fruit. Also mangoes go so well with coconut definitely a “made for each other combination”. This coconut steel cut oats porridge has almost similar texture to an broken wheat porridge but it is more creamy and off course delicious.
- 1 cup steel cut oats.
- 3 cup filtered water.
- 1 cup milk.
- 2 tsp unsalted butter.
- 1 tsp cardamom powder.
- 2 tablespoon honey.
- 1 cup mango (diced).
- 3 tbsp+ 1 tbsp shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- Take a skillet and melt unsalted butter in it over medium heat, add the oats and cook gently stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes, keep aside.
- In a large saucepan combine milk and filtered water, bring the water-milk mixture to simmer on medium heat now add oats to this mixture.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and continue cooking for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now check the oatmeal add ¼ cup of shredded coconut and continue to simmer the mixture until all the liquid is absorbed, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat , let it cool for few minutes. Add honey and mix well, now portion oatmeal into bowls add diced mangoes and shredded coconut. Serve immediately
Please leave a comment below or share your picture on Instagram,twitter and Facebook with the hashtag #nfdrecipes.