Cherries are in season right now; last week I came across a good batch of sweet cherries; so I froze some of them. Now I can use them in my smoothies or baked goods. Fresh or frozen cherries definitely tastes better than dried ones because they are not too sweet and are a bit tart too. So these are perfect for chocolate cherry scones and makes a good pair with sweet dark chocolate.
I was looking for some healthy scones recipes and I found this Healthy Blueberry Scones Recipe by Kate those scones look so lovely and healthy; a nice scones recipe. But instead of blueberries, I want to use cherries so I used frozen cherries and my favorite dark chocolate chips for making healthy chocolate cherry scones.
I have used Balkan style yogurt which I generally give to my toddler and is also very good for baking, but you can also replace this with greek yogurt.
These scones turned out so good crispy from outside, light and fluffy on the inside. These are light and moist because of yogurt. So let’s just try this healthy chocolate cherry scones recipe and taste the wholesome goodness.
- 1½ cup whole wheat flour.
- 11/2 tsp baking powder.
- 3 tbsp packed brown sugar.
- a pinch of salt.
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter (chilled).
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg .
- ½ cup cherries chopped (fresh/frozen).
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate (chips / chopped) .
- ¼ cup yogurt (I have used Astro Original Balkan Style).
- ¼ cup milk.
- 1 tbsp dark chocolate sauce ( optional).
- Preheat the oven to 425º F; line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Take a large bowl and whisk flour, sugar, salt, baking powder together.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and mix with the flour mixture.
- Add cherries and chocolate chips and stir gently.
- Add milk and yogurt and mix well with light hands to knead the flour into a dough.
- Spread the dough into a circle and cut the circle into six slices/segments.
- Separate the slices and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool on wire rack.
- Serve warm with the drizzle of dark chocolate sauce on the top.
Nutritional Information is based on particular ingredients used by me.