Chickpea and potatoes together reminds me of my childhood. This is a very common combination for Indian savory snack popularly known as “Chana Chat”;which is sold as a street food in India and is quite spicy. Chana chat is made spicy using spices like red chili powder, coriander powder, green chilies, tamarind juice and lemon juice. No doubt this combination is absolutely delicious, but is somewhat too spicy. So I have modified chana chat into a hearty chickpea potato salad and used fresh mint and apple cider dressing to make the salad tangy and aromatic.
Chickpea is a very nutritious bean; rich in dietary fiber, minerals and other nutrients. I like home cooked chickpeas instead of canned one because they are fresh and free from any additives. So I have used home cooked chickpeas if you are using canned chickpeas then make sure to wash them before using in order to get rid of extra sodium.
- 1 cups dried chickpeas. (yields approximately 3 cups fully cooked) or use 2 cups canned.
- 3 medium sized potatoes ( boiled and cubed).
- 8-10 cherry or grape tomatoes(halved).
- 1 cup iceberg or romaine lettuce.
- 1 cup red cabbage shredded.
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves (chopped).
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 tsp paprika.
- ½ tsp salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, paprika and chopped mint leaves and keep aside.
- Tear lettuce leaves into edible size pieces.
- Take a large bowl add chickpeas, potato, cherry tomato, red cabbage, lettuce to it.
- Pour the prepared dressing over chickpeas and vegetables; toss them gently to coat.
- Serve immediately.