What is your kids all time favorite snack? Fresh fruits, veggies or healthy baked goods. Then you are on the right track because healthy snacking is as important as healthy meals. It’s quite hard to keep kids away from sugary treats or processed foods especially snacks. Healthy home baked goods are perfect quick breakfast or mid afternoon snack option for kids as well as adults. These blueberry strawberry yogurt muffins are my favorite snack for this summer as everyone in the family can equally enjoy this special fruity healthy treat.
Made with Balkan style yogurt, whole wheat flour, apple sauce and two type of berries, these muffins are very moist but very light. I have used unsweetened apple sauce in these blueberry strawberry yogurt muffins in order to replace oil or butter. So that is why I have used less sugar and the only fat in these muffins is from yogurt and egg.
This muffin recipe is quite easy but make sure to handle the batter gently and not to over mix it, otherwise these muffins may not rise properly. Try to use fresh berries as this is summer time and fresh berries are available for decent price. I have used regular size muffin pan for baking and used non stick cooking spray to grease the pan, you can also use cupcake pan or small size muffin pan if you are making these blueberry, strawberry yogurt muffins for kids or toddlers. Although my toddler was able to finish whole muffin as a mid afternoon snack. You can also adjust sugar levels depending upon the sweetness level of fruits, if your berries are too sweet then add less sugar and vice versa.
I think this yogurt muffin recipe is going to work with other fruits, nuts and chocolate chips. But this is the time for fresh berries so bake and enjoy these light, fruity and delicious blueberry strawberry yogurt muffins.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour.
- ¼ cup brown sugar.
- ½ tsp baking powder.
- ¼ tsp baking soda.
- ½ cup yogurt (Balkan style/Greek).
- 1 medium egg.
- 1 cup strawberries (pureed).
- ½ cup blueberries.
- 100 ml applesauce (unsweetened).
- 2 tsp flour to coat berries.
- Preheat your oven to 350° F, line or grease muffin pan.
- Take a medium bowl and mix dry ingredients i.e. whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder together.
- Puree or grate strawberries.
- In a small bowl beat an egg, add unsweetened apple sauce and yogurt to it, whisk to combine.
- Add pureed strawberries and wet mixture to the dry mixture, mix gently just to combine.
- Coat the blueberries with flour and fold into the batter.
- Fill the muffin pan with the batter, each cup should be about ¾ full. Bake for 20-25 minutes in the oven.
- Remove from oven and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.